Thursday, October 21, 2010

Indian Creek

I got down to Indian Creek just south of Moab, Utah this past weekend.  For those of you who don't know the Creek is the mecca of crack climbing.  There are miles of cliffs with splitter cracks and seemingly endless canyon fingers with an unimagineable potential for new routes.  Unfortunately crack climbing is a bit of an acquired taste.  This was my second trip to the creek and to be honest I have only climbed a 5.8 on toprope without having to rest every half dozen moves.  I still haven't come to a conclusion whether I like the place.  My opinions have ranged from climbing utopia to "I don't give a shit if they flood this place".  I did manage to get up a 5.8+ on lead, however the route was only 25 feet tall and fittingly named Short and Stupid...not to mention I had to hang on my gear once.  Did I mention I can't crack climb to save my life.  Luckily there was a lot of good food, drink, conversation, and company to distract me from my lack of ability.  Below are a few pictures from the trip.  Despite the rain on day one I managed to get a few shots.  There are no pictures of me climbing but I did get a few of Jason, and crackmaster Shane.

-Mike


North Six Shooter Peak


Camp

Jason trying to stay dry while belaying Shane who is trying to finish up the climb in the rain.



Shane finished our first day with Jolly Rancher a 140' 5.10

Starting off Jolly Rancher with no anchors in sight


Heading up to the Second Meat Wall on day 2



Jason heading up a nice 5.9+


Newspaper Rock

Fall in the Creek

Heading to Hawaii on Saturday with photos to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment